1- Picture your career as a painting, not a ladder
- Think about your career as a work of art. Extensive, independent movements that incrementally reveal a whole painting.
- Careers aren’t just about rocketing upwards. Expanding horizontally gives you’re a stronger foundation to pursue vertical growth
- Let your curiosity be your guide. You’ll never know where it might lead you, and that’s the thrill, it empowers you to explore possibilities beyond what you could have imagined.
2- Embrace Failure
- Successful people don’t fear failure but understand that it’s necessary to learn and grow from
- Never look back in regret – move on to the next thing.
- Setbacks are never a bad experience, just a learning curve. After any failure, you may feel like there’s nothing good about you. But in truth, everyone has something that they’re good at. Use what you do well to your advantage in the future, and keep those good things you have strong.
3- With Success Comes Unhelpful Criticism – Ignore It
- Remember that unhelpful criticism does not engage with the content in a meaningful way that invites meaningful change.
- They are surface-level criticisms like nitpicking
- You may cut off interactions with people with a pattern of offering negative criticism
- Be an encourager the world has plenty of critics already
4- You’re Allowed To Quit When You’re Unhappy
- Constant unhappiness is a reminder to change something – it may be in yourself or your environment
- But make sure you’re not quitting because you’re impatient
- You owe it to yourself to get specific about changes you could make for it to get better and to develop your own innovative solutions and experiments to try
Article written by Hala Haider – Sales Coordinator, Alpha Data Recruitment